Road trips are a great way to spend time with friends and family, but they can also be long hours in the car. I remember taking long drives into the mountains when I was younger and having so much fun because we were prepared!
If you’re looking for a gift for the traveler in your life or maybe even a little something to get yourself ready for an upcoming trip, I’ve got you covered! This list of 37 road trip gift ideas is perfect for you! From unique car gadgets to must-have apps, check out our list! Happy travels!
Essential Road Trip Gift Ideas
For peace of mind, this car roadside has everything you can think of in times of need – a snow shovel, jumper cables, and other sturdy accessories. Gift this emergency kit for your road-tripping travelers!
Always be prepared. Grab this first aid kit for the car to prepare for emergencies, disasters, and anything else that may come up on the road! This kit is compact, light, and even has a mini kit for ease of access (like when you decide to go hiking).
Have a flashlight ready for dark times! This flashlight is super bright and small, so it’ll fit perfectly in the glove compartment. It’s also rechargeable, so you don’t have to worry about replacing dead batteries!
Be prepared for any road trip in the United States with this book at your side. Prepared maps, recommended places, and a guidebook, this is the gift your road tripper needs!
This is the essential travel mug to keep your drinks cold or hot for long hours! Grab a Yeti tumbler or 2 for your next road trip and have your drinks at the ready all the time!
Road Trip Gift Ideas for Organization
Grab this convenient and useful car vacuum for extra-long road trips, especially if there’s a stop at a sandy beach! The 16-foot cord plugs right into the car aux so you never need to worry about the battery going out!
On long road trips, there is bound to be endless trash from snacks and wrappers from new things. Get a car garbage can to hold all your trash until the next stop! This one can hang anywhere in the car and has support for trash bag handles on the side too!
For easy access to everything, grab this organizer for your road trip. The hooks help the box to stay sturdy and there’s plenty of room for all the things! There’s also a cover so you can feel safe leaving it in the car.
Snag this handy organizer with a cooler compartment and sturdy tray top. You can pack your snacks inside the cooler and snack on the tray above… or if you think like me, play a card game on it!
With a long car trip, you’ll need all your essentials – from tablets to water bottles, there’s a pocket for everything! This backseat organizer is so useful to keep all your things in one place so they don’t roll around the car.
Road Trip Gift Ideas for Comfort in the Car
This memory foam travel pillow is different from the others because it’s twistable and can be used any which way! You can twist it to support your neck, back, legs, and more!
A car air mattress is so convenient for when camping or needing to take a rest from a long drive. This particular mattress comes with an air pump you can plug into the car for ease of use!
This electric car blanket comes with a 96-inch long cord, stays warm, and can be plugged into the cigarette lighter jack. It’s the perfect gift for a night of stargazing off the beaten path.
14. Sherpa Blanket
If electric blankets aren’t your thing, then this sherpa blanket is for you! Keep warm while on the go, and even sleep snuggled up with this super soft blanket!
This fun treat box is the perfect care package for you and your road-tripping friends! Filled with sweet and savory treats, there’s something for everyone. The best part is all 45 of them are individually wrapped!
Keep your drinks or food cold on the go with this mini-fridge. It plugs right into your car and you’ll have cold snacks for that long drive!
Road Trip Gift Ideas for Comfort Outside the Car
Let’s be real, the only comfort needed outside is for our bottom to feel good – grab these DUDE wipes for your favorite dude traveler! He’ll thank you for it… (Psst… it’s mint flavored!)
Ladies need wipes too and these are my favorite! I love the smell of Goodwipes, and they leave me feeling clean. Snag these plant-based wipes for your next road trip excursion!
If you are someone like me who is hesitant to use public restrooms anywhere, then this is the gift you need! Never worry about dirty toilet seats again with this 50-pack biodegradable, flushable toilet seat covers!
20. Sundome Tent
Now that we’ve got bathroom essentials covered, take care of your sleep with a tent, the perfect accompaniment to a long road trip into the mountains, ocean, lake, or anywhere else you find yourself!
Set up a chair next to your tent and enjoy that campfire (or the stars!). This chair is also perfect for a stop at the beach or lake as well!
22. Rolling Cooler
This rolling cooler has saved me multiple times when I’m on the road. Use it to pack lunch for the beach (and easily rollable over sand), pack food after visiting a farmer’s market, or just to have cold snacks on the road.
Gadgets forRoad Trip Gift Ideas
For you water drinker with a large water bottle (like me), this is the gadget for you! Put your large water bottle down below, add another cup up top, and even save space for your snack! The perfect solution to have all your goodies within reach!
This mobile phone holder is perfect for your backseat friends! Let them rest their hands and practice ergonomics while watching their favorite show on a long road trip. It also has a useful hook for a backpack or snack bag too!
For continuous power, while on the road, snag this useful power adapter to plug in your technology. You can work on your laptop, plug in multiple phones, and make sure everything is charged and ready to go when you get to your adventure!
Though it’s small, this Bluetooth speaker is perfect for connecting to your playlist when taking a break from the car – think hiking, camping, or even stargazing.
It’s a small annoyance when your phone or food falls in the gap between the console and your seat on a long drive. This Drop Stop is your solution! It stops things from falling in. Grab it for a stress-free drive!
On a stop for food or updates on your computer, this steering wheel desk comes in so helpful! Snap it into place and you have an office on the go!
Games forRoad Trip Gift Ideas
To play, push the buttons into the middle and try to match them back up with their colors. For endless fun, this magic ball will challenge and entertain you on a long car drive!
30. Games on the Go
From “Find that Number” to word games, this little pack has it all! When everyone is awake on that long road trip, play these verbal games on the go!
Family talk in the car is amazing because everyone is all together (and stuck) so conversations must go on. Grab this convenient list of questions for your next road trip!
32. Paint by Sticker
First, I know it says “kids” on the front, but adults can also enjoy this fun paint-by sticker book too! Take a sticker and put it on the correct number – such a creative way to spend your long hours on a road trip!
Tease your brain with these interesting 30 Second Mysteries! Read the story and figure out what the mystery is… this is a great way to pass the time on a long road trip!
Out-of-the-Box Road Trip Gift Ideas
Gift an annual National Park pass to your road-tripper who loves stopping in America’s national parks! This gives free entrance to National Parks, Forests, and many more!
Gift credits to your favorite road tripper! Listen to books, podcasts, and Audible originals. Audible is a great gift to listen to while on a long road trip! The best part is they get to keep the books even if they don’t have a subscription! I loved listening to Love People, Use Things!
The next best thing is to gift away a Spotify subscription! Listen to favorite tracks and podcasts on Spotify! There are even options to hear the news. (Of course, my favorites are currently all serial killer-related!)
37. Apple Music
For iPhone users, Apple Music is the gift to give! From here, listen to favorite artists and podcasts straight from the Apple Music app. It’s the gift that keeps on giving and road trippers will not miss out on their faves!
Rounding out the 37 Road Trip Gift Ideas
Whether you’re traveling solo, with a partner, or the whole family, I’ve got tons of great suggestions for gifts that will make your next road trip more enjoyable. If you want to be entertained and pass the time on long car rides better than ever before then consider picking up one of these 37 useful road trip gift ideas.
From games to comfort items and essentials like snacks and water bottles–there’s something here for everyone in every situation. What do you think is most important when it comes to what makes a good road trip? Let me know down in the comments section!
Other posts you might like:
- 65+ Best Travel Gift Ideas for Her
- 35 Awesome Travel Gift Ideas for Couples
- 37 Amazing Travel Gift Ideas for Him
- The Best Travel Credit Card
- How to Travel with a Backpack (and Still Have Everything You Need)
- 10 Reasons to Hop on a Plane Today
- 33 Travel Traditions to Start Today
Liked what you read? Share it on Pinterest!
My Favorite Travel Tips + Resources
Here is a quick glance at all my go-to travel tips and resources that I use to plan every trip! For more information, check out my travel resources page.
- Booking flights: I use Google Flights to check all routes and find the best flights. Then I compare them with Expedia (for reward points) and Skyscanner (for the lowest prices) before I book.
- Accommodations: I love budget-friendly rentals or booking at a hotel where I can earn points. For hotels, I go through Booking.com or book directly with Marriott (for points + rewards). When I travel internationally, I’ll book through Hostelworld for very budget-friendly stays. For vacation rentals, I usually look through Airbnb, but you could also use Vrbo. Expedia also has some great bundles for hotels, flights, and car rentals altogether.
- Transportation: For travel in the United States, I love renting through Expedia with Enterprise or Thrifty. They have been consistent and provide the best customer service. For international travel, I’ll book through Rome2Rio or Eurail for trains or bus fares.
- Travel Credit Card: I book all my travel (flights, hotels, car rentals) through my favorite travel credit card. I also use this card for everything on my trip including dining, excursions, and souvenirs. Apart from earning 5x more points towards free travel, there are amazing benefits: no foreign transaction fees, trip cancellation/interruption insurance, trip delay reimbursement (so I can book worry-free), fraud protection, emergency assistance – it’s really a great deal! Check it out here!
- Vaccines and Medications: Check the CDC website for updates on necessary vaccines to enter a country, including updates on Covid-19 and recommended places to visit. I recommend getting all the vaccines you need before you go!
- Tours + Experiences: I absolutely love my tours! Everything from eerie walking ghost tours to food tours, I’ll usually book something every trip either through Viator or GetYourGuide. I also love LastMinute.com for very affordable tickets to theaters and other experiences in Europe.
- What to Pack: I almost always travel by backpack. For products I like, check out my packing guide page for all the things I take with me on different trips.